Skip to main content

Limescale ...

And so we come to the end of week 5 ...

I have had the challenge of juggling many different balls as my wife continues to recover from the operation on her shoulder. It was a very busy week of meetings anyway, but the additional demands have meant that at about 3pm on Saturday and Sunday I hit a wall of tiredness that was best succumbed to .... I always considered that siesta was a good thing throughout my seven years in Africa!!! Perhaps I should start a campaign to see it established as part of the working day here in the UK!

One thing that constant demands from other people can bring the surface is our pride. Especially when, as is my case, you are a borderline introvert/extrovert ... Needing to retreat regularly to be refreshed ... As this can lead to a sense of justification when we cry out 'what about me?'

But have been thinking this week about the effect of pride ... And have come to conclusion that the effect of pride can be explained using the analogy of calcium carbonate that we find in water and that leads to the limescale in our kettles!!!

We live in an area where the water is particularly 'hard' and so there is always the potential for limescale to grow in the kettle ... And this needs to be constantly chipped away or dissolved ... if not it reduces the effectiveness of the kettle or ultimately damages it. It is ever present and needs to be controlled.

So, in the same way there is something ever present and all pervasive about pride ... There is always the potential and temptation to exert self, either directly by ignoring the needs of others or putting ourselves first or, perhaps more subtly yet equally damaging, allowing feelings of self-pity ... Any expression of pride will have an affect on our relationship with others and with the Lord. A build up of 'pride' creates layers that reduce our effectiveness and can cause damage to others and to ourselves if left unchecked.

I find this a particular challenge when I am feeling tired ... Hence it has been a challenge this week. So, what is the antidote?

Well, if it was a kettle I would advise on purchasing something like 'Calgon' ... That dissolves the limescale, and start all over again, but this time try and filter the water so it is softer in the first place!

For pride the solution is different, there are no 'magic bullets' or 'tablets' - rather the simple process of 1/ Repentance and 2/ humble obedience ... Serving others, preferring others needs, choosing to do this when we perhaps don't feel like it, constant small decisions in daily life.

And that is only a start, the break through comes when, like the apostle Paul, we come into a place where we too can say ... "even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." (Philippians 2:17-18 (NIV))

So for all you out there with a busy week ahead, dealing with demands from all sides ... Resist the temptation to pride, or risk the limescale reducing you effectiveness or even damaging you!

Really enjoyed the start of the Six Nations, although the onslaught of the wave of tiredness at 3pm did hinder my viewing somewhat! However, as it had been ordained that England should play Wales on Friday evening I managed to catch the main event (for me anyway!) ... I hope there is no pride in that!!

Had the opportunity to take the new workers through the foundational principles of WEC this week ... Which is always a blessing for me as I refresh my vision for the purpose and ways of working on which we have been based for the last 100 years ... And although they are that old, I believe they are as current to today, in maintaining our spiritual vitality and purpose, as they were when being developed. Some of the practices might need some review ... But the heritage must remain. I trust that as the next batch of workers goes out they will maintain and desire to live out lives that will model and encourage the values of faith, holiness, sacrifice and fellowship that have stood us in good stead as we seek to bring this glorious gospel to the remaining unevangelised peoples of the world, as quickly as possible!

We also spent much time this week with our new deputies as we build a new leadership team. As I shared with the new workers earlier in the week, if a new person joins a well established team, there is a new team! So it was important for us to live up to that and look afresh at how we do things ... Exciting days ahead! Was sharing with the team that I was hoping for a little more time to give to itinerant ministry, to which they agreed, and by the end of the week three speaking opportunities came into my inbox! God is good, always!

Not done much reading this week, beyond the Bible and the newspaper ... But there is so much going on in the world at the moment, especially in North Africa and the Middle East that there is no shortage of 'prayer fodder' ... We need spiritual insight as we look at these things ... The pursuit of democracy is not a cure-all for everything that ails the world and does not always produce the freedom that some believe we all have a right to! Just what is going on behind the scenes, who is pulling the strings? It might appear that individuals or groups are changing the course of history, but we know the truth, there is but One who is absolutely Sovereign, and He alone determines the times and seasons, and establishes the boundaries for peoples ... That they might hear the good news and have the opportunity to receive Christ as Saviour ... In that there is true liberty!!

Have a great week!

- Press on!

Comments

  1. Hi,
    Limescale is composed mainly of calcium and magnesium, and often other beneficial minerals. These minerals are naturally present in water, and the amount of mineral present in your water will vary from region to region, and from source to source. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to add comments or ask questions:

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all