Skip to main content

The importance of hope... with integrity!!

In 1 Thessalonians 1:3 (NIV) the Apostle Paul wrote "We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labour prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ."

It struck me afresh how important "hope" is ... This was brought home in stark fashion this week as we saw the traumatic scenes in Japan, where thousands are still missing, but hundreds are "camping" on gymnasium floors. However they have a 'hope' that the Japanese Government or International Community have the infrastructure and resources to deal with this and that they will eventually be able to return back to what they had before. I hope there confidence is well placed.

I was struggling as I remembered those millions around the world who would, if given the chance, probably trade their lives for those Japanese people living on the gymnasium floors. Again, the pictures that bombarded all of us who watched any of the Comic Relief footage brought this into our front rooms in blunt fashion. Which, whilst difficult to look at, was almost certainly good for us all to see. How can hope speak into such circumstances?

How amazing, and what a reflection on the British public, that millions of Pounds were collected on the night .... Well done! Wouldn't it be a greater achievement if people gave of their time and money in an ongoing way throughout the year and on into the future? ... To work for those with so much less than we can even imagine. Again, we give because we want to and 'hope' that this will make a difference - and it will to this who are fortunate to receive through this charitable work ... There are still many who will not.

On a totally unrelated note was the unfulfilled 'hope' I had at the start of the weekend that England would pick up the Grand Slam in the 6 Nations championship ... Cruelly smashed by a outstanding Ireland performance ... Totally irresistible. Oh well, they won the Championship if not the Grand Slam - and there is always next year!!! And, of course, the World Cup coming up in six months.

Disappointment can be a disabler, that prevents us from hoping the next time .... But I have found that Christ never disappoints, and as I hope in Him I am also encouraged to persevere ... He will change lives, He will build His Church, He will return and He will judge us and reward us accordingly - He will do this not because I hope He will, but because He has promised He will and He is entirely trustworthy ... And we only find that out when we begin to trust Him. So my hope is not misplaced because it is based on His character and His ability and, that over the last 21 years in my journey with Him, He has proved this to me again and again!

As I was preparing for a talk this weekend on Religious Pluralism I was very blessed to reflect again on the person, work and uniqueness of Christ.

We live in a society where a common worldview is that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and that at least some truths and true values exist in other religions. Where there is general acceptance of the concept that two or more religions with mutually exclusive truth claims are equally valid, or that God created all of the religions in order to speak to people in ways that most appeal or relate to their circumstances in life. As such, even though their customs are different, they are all from the same source. As a theological argument, religious pluralism suggests that if all religions are from the same original source, then all must be possessing of a similar truth.

The problem! Many religions flatly contradict one another on some points, making pluralists stuck in the middle on some arguments .... Christianity would be one of these ... But we should not draw back from robust debate, even when we become unpopular ... It also demands that we who claim to be 'Christians' make every effort to know WHO they believe, WHAT they believe and WHY they believe it! And, perhaps more importantly, that there is integrity between what we say we believe and our character and behaviour .... No-one likes a hypocrite .... Including God!!

It is so important that we, as Christians, equip ourselves with declarations of the truth and not counter arguments against those who may not agree with us ... Point people towards Christ .... Help people to understand what we believe to be truth rather than an explanation of why we believe others are in error etc .... Or else we appear arrogant, and devoid of answers.

- Press on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all