Skip to main content

Partnership and the necessity for clarity ...

In John's gospel we read "Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."

What do we see the Father doing? And do we join in or carry on as usual? Is it something different He is doing 'today' or is it something He has been doing for some time ... a trend as it were? It is a mixture of both no doubt, but to have the capacity to have a discerning heart is a wonderful gift, and one that needs to be nurtured ...

As I sat at home one morning last week, looking out across the fields (I am blessed to live in a very beautiful place) the mist was filling the valley between the hill and the trees ... Eventually the sun rose and broke through, bringing it's warming light, which then had two effects - it dispelled the mist and brought clarity to the vision before me - in other words in place of the hazy vision of greenness I could pick out the detail the grass and trees ... That is what we need in all of the matters that face us each day ... Clarity and vision ... Sometimes that comes through knowing the word and applying it - sometimes this comes through specific revelation by the Spirit.

So, what has that meant for me this week? A big item on the agenda of my mind has been the idea of partnership ... Working together to achieve a mutually beneficial goal, which might not even be possible if i were working alone...

The obvious of partnership being the way in which a marriage works out ... At it's best, when two people are "pulling together" mutually supporting each other and moving in the same direction it is a wonderful thing. As soon as one gives up, for whatever reason, it becomes an incredible pressure and burden to carry. Marriage is hard work at times, but so rewarding and worth every bit of effort ... Perhaps I find it easy because I have such a great wife!! (or perhaps I am just a great husband!!!)

Anyway, in ministry it is the same ... Partnership is hard work, and costs us something of our independence to be in it but well worth the effort ... This last week I have been blessed to be talking with a variety of people about a multitude of possibilities ... Each look as though they could have huge potential ... But it is difficult to know for sure what is strategic - often the mundane can become the most strategic whereas that which initially appears so exciting can 'fizzle out'!

So what has been on the agenda to look at?

Partnering with the Chinese Church in the UK to envision more people for cross-cultural mission.
Partnering with local Theological colleges to deliver an accredited Internship programme for developing "Leadership through Cross-Cultural mission."
Partnering with other Mission agencies to develop the scope and content of the Go Mission Festival.
Partnering with local Church leaders and Missions groups to discover what opportunities there will be to capitalise on the potential that London 2012 brings - when thousands will be arriving on our doorsteps from all over the world. What can we do to demonstrate the realities of our Faith to them?

In each case we have the vision, for some it is still very much in the mist, for other arrangements the Sun (or Son) is shining His light to reveal more of the detail. That's the journey!

As RT Kendall quoted in his book 'The Anointing' ... "it is the responsibility of every generation to discover what the Spirit is doing and then align themselves with Him."

Partnering is itself, I believe, one of the 'things' that the Lord is leading the Church/Mission groups to do in increasing measure. Partly because it is more effective, but more importantly it is a demonstration that we are, first and foremost, one body, united in Christ.

May the Lord grant you wisdom and discernment, and the desire to change in order to move with what you see Him doing.


- Press on!
Follow me on Twitter @johnbagg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all