Skip to main content

What is it all about for me?

Permit me if you will to give a little personal testimony that will help frame my motivation for obedience to Christ and for yieldedness - which I proposed was the key to a fruitful life in my last blog.

I became a Christian at University, at the age of 19. I had little exposure to Church before that and was not 'seeking' or 'in a crisis' ... Therefore I could only conclude that I was 'sought out' ... But by whom and why? The short answer to this is that I believe it was the Living God in order for me, the created, to enjoy a relationship with Him, the Creator.

A passage of Scripture that became very special to me, very early on in my Christian life, and one which has framed all my subsequent decision making was Philippians 3:10-12 (NIV). In this passage the Apostle Paul writes: "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."

So how does this help me?
I too want to know Christ ...
I am not especially interested in knowing a system of religion or a belief structure, but I am passionate about knowing the person of Jesus Christ ... It is the development of a relationship with the one in whom there is fulness of life, grace, peace, love, mercy ... The list goes on. He is the Holy One who, through His sacrifice for our failings, makes possible a relationship with the Living God - why, I concluded, would I not want to know Him? Especially when He has made possible what I never could have! He is the one who is drawing me ... Hence my need to yield to that drawing ... After all - He sought me out!

... The power of His resurrection ...
As we deepen our relationship with Him He asks us to do things that are beyond our capacity to do ... living natural lives with the power of the supernatural - we need this to pray for healing, to pray for hope and salvation to enter into the lives of others, to overcome evil that is so prevalent in the world today ... So we need to live in the fulness of the in dwelling presence of the Holy Spirit within.

... and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings ...
This is a big faith question ... why, if God is sovereign over all, does He allow suffering? Why does God lead His people, whom He loves, to do things that cause them to suffer as a result of their obedience? Why did He send His son to suffer and die? These are massive questions that would require a lot of explanation - I commend the following article to as a good place to start your explanation to those questions.
(http://www.church-on-the-net.com/reference/suffering.aspx) However, for the purposes of this blog I would simply say that obedience, though it will almost certainly lead to challenges, suffering, perhaps even death, is the key to knowing Christ, and demonstrating Christ to others. Let me give you an example, in the current age where so many are losing their jobs will being a Christian mean that God will stop you from losing your job? I don't believe it will - but when two people lose their jobs, and one of them is a Christian - it gives them the opportunity to demonstrate what a difference it makes having hope and faith in Christ, having a firm foundation to life and a place of refuge. It won't necessarily make the trauma or consequences of the circumstance any different but it can demonstrate that Christ makes a difference.

... becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead....
So we are to live the life of faith by being obedient, this means yielding our lives, dying to self in order to live for Jesus ... Being driven by His priorities, His passions etc. the mystery is that through this process we will also receive the same affirmation as He received ... glorification and reward at the very end!

But, like Paul, we must all have the desire to say ...
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.
Obedience is a choice ... But the reward is great and it gives us the answer to the deepest prayer - "I want to know Christ" ... Through faithful obedience, pressing on, increasingly living in the fulness of life we have already received in Christ ... Taking hold of the life for which we were apprehended.

Awesome!

Press on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all