Skip to main content

Giving careful thought ...

I was recently challenged by reading through the book of Haggai. To set the scene the Old Testament prophet was speaking to the people of Jerusalem following their return from exile in Babylon - ie. post-deliverance from their bondage. So how does this speak to us today you might ask? For the purposes of my thoughts I was comparing their situation to mine, and to that of any Christian, we live post-deliverance ... Having been delivered through faith in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, from darkness into light, from bondage into liberty to live an abundant life in Christ. The question Haggai poses, and one we should all ask, is "What do we do with that freedom?"

The phrase "Give careful thought to your ways ..." occurs a number of times. This comes as a challenge both to reflect on 'how your life actually is', and 'how your life should be'. This is what we must be doing as we seek to grow as disciples and mature in our faith. Questions such as 'Why are we doing what we do?' 'What should we be doing?' and 'What are the fruits of what we are currently doing?' become vital tools in the shaping process as we ponder them before the Lord.

The fruits of asking these questions include;

Freedom to be satisfied
The word of the Lord to the people, through Haggai, was that their focus was not right. They were building 'panelled homes' for themselves whilst neglecting the building of the temple. They were focussed on their own ends and not God's - building their own empires and not God's Kingdom, spending their time, resources and energies on themselves. However, the word makes it clear that the former is not ultimately satisfying, it does not bring blessing we seek, whilst giving God our best in all things and focussing on His priorities leads to the abundant blessing!

Freedom to please and honour God
In 1:8 the prophet speaks ""Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build the house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honored, " says the Lord." What motivates us in what we do, and how we do it? In all that we do are we motivated by the desire that in all things our God is pleased and honoured? What struck me here is the amazing truth that we enjoy the freedom to do that which pleases and honours God. Ponder the breathtaking liberty that this is ... To not be people under wrath, but people who can please and honour Him in all that we do!

Freedom to enjoy the presence of God
In 1:13 we read "Then Haggai, the Lord's messenger, gave this message of the Lord to the people: "I am with you," declares the Lord." Freedom to never be alone, or isolated, but rather to enjoy the constant presence of the Lord. And, perhaps more importantly, are we confident that the the Spirit of the Lord is capable of stirring up others along with us, to fulfil what He is leading us to do? With presence comes provision! He is not only our Supplier, He Himself IS the supply too! (We can read more of that in the book of Haggai's friend Zechariah - but that's another thought!!)

So give careful thought;
Where are our priorities?
Do they align with God's?
Are we trying to create our own abundance rather than serve Him and be blessed abundantly?
In our obedience, do we have confidence of the Lord's constant presence?

Press on!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all