Skip to main content

Where can we doubt?

I read this a few weeks ago ... RT “Thought you might be interested in this story- Minister To Atheist:  ” What an amazing story! It got a small response at the time, but as Stephen Fry wrote it the millions who read his Tweet might have pursued it.

(If the link above does not work try this http://www.npr.org/2012/04/30/151681248/from-minister-to-atheist-a-story-of-losing-faith?sc=tw&cc=share )

There is a lot in this story that saddens me - not least the compassion I feel for anyone grappling with issues of faith. It would be great if there was just one button that can be switched on which removes all doubts and issues - but there isn't. What we have is the Holy Spirit that leads us into all truth, the Word that provides guidance and the 'body' that should encourage faith. That is 'the Church' but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much space for anyone, especially those in leadership, to acknowledge that they have doubts and struggles with faith. If there were greater openness and vulnerability perhaps others in Church would be better equipped to explore their doubts and become stronger in their faith as a result.

Christianity is not a religious construct of rules and regulations, at it's root it is about a relationship with a person not a power. It saddens me greatly when I hear people share that they have followed a 'system' for many years - some even doing great exploits of faith - but have never really known a deep personal relationship with God through faith in Jesus and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. How lifeless a form this is, and so much less than the 'abundant life' that Jesus came to give.

My other sadness is that this one article exploring one example of somebody who is making the journey from 'Minister to Atheist' will probably gain far more exposure than the thousands of stories across the world of those who are journeying from 'Atheist to Minister' ... I wonder if, in the interests of balance, Mr Fry might tweet some of those ... I wonder too, where do people who are part of strongly Atheist groups go to explore their doubts in the absolute belief that God does not exist?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all