Skip to main content

Enthroned?





I love the book of James. As a very pragmatic person I enjoy thinking through a theological truth convinced that it must somehow express itself in lifestyle and practice. The book of James is intensely practical and incredibly blunt in places, I might not find it easy reading but I find it accessible and readily applicable.

Chapter 4 deals with one key issue and 'submission' - What in our lives do we submit ourselves or yield to? For each of us there must be something, or someone, who is enthroned and who will act as the catalyst/initiator of what we do, the decisions we make, and who will shape our thinking.  

It might be that we enthrone self, its 'me' who makes all the decisions about what I say and do. It may be another person, perhaps a parent or significant other. It may be some conversation we had as a child, a word spoken to us or over us that we still allow to shape our lives. Perhaps we choose a direction so that we do not have to confront a fear or perhaps a prejudice shapes our decision-making. James challenges us that it should be the Lord that we enthrone, and that all my decisions should be taken with Him enthroned - "What is his mind/will?" "What does He want me to do in this particular season?" 

In chapter 4 there are some examples of the practical out workings of anything other than the Lord being in control of our lives.
  1. We must recognise that ultimately trying to work things out for ourselves is fruitless "You don't get what you want, no matter how hard you try!" Not only that self-effort hinders us from seeking the very one who is the supplier of what we need.
  2. When we have something other than the Lord as number one then we have the temptation to compare. By this I mean if we all enthroned the Lord as number 1 then we would all have the same person shaping our lives. When he is replaced by something/someone else we are faced with a temptation to compare whose number one is better! - Does my choice based on a selfish desire trump your choice based on a fear or prejudice? When the Lord is number one then there is unity.
  3. We must be humble enough to recognise our very life-breath is in his hands. This is not simply a question of making plans and asking God's blessing upon them - it is acknowledging that God is the very essence of life, and accepting that God is in what we do and should be in what we do. I, therefore, have the freedom to ask Him what He wants me to do with the time He gives me.
  4. Submission to and enthroning the Lord brings provision. "God opposes the proud..." how useless is it to pit ourselves against God! How much better to recognise that He is sufficient, He provides everything - grace, power, love, provision - whatever it takes to accomplish His will, He provides.
  5. We must recognise this for what it is. If we enthrone anything above Him, or are submitted to anything other than Him then what we are doing is dethroning the Lord from his rightful place ... this is sin. If we allow the Spirit to bring us to that place of recognising where we have things in our lives above Him and His will, the His love, His compassion releases us to confess this to Him that we might know the grace of forgiveness.
Verse 10 sums it up beautifully "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up!" How wonderful to be lifted up in the hands of the living God, by our Father in heaven. In this comes the exhortation to humble ourselves before Him, thereby enthroning Him and living Christ-centric lives.

Who's on the throne in your life?

Press on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all