Skip to main content

​Is blogging worth it?

I have a love-hate relationship with blogging. 

I enjoy the more reflective approach to writing that it forces. To draft something slightly longer, and a little more considered, than the average social media post helps me to shape my thinking.

I love the fact that it is less reactive as a result. 

I don’t like the fact that blog posts seem to have less interaction than social media. (This is not a plea for more interaction to my personal blog but a reflection that the world seems more interested in cats playing the piano than in more thoughtful topics.) 

I hate the fact that I don’t have time to blog because I’ve just spent 20 minutes watching cats play pianos … but, as a mirror, maintaining a blog is a good, if demanding, discipline.

I wonder if I have anything useful to add to the many voices in a crowded market? What is the point of adding another voice?

But, there is so much that is inspiring, exciting and yet unseen in life, faith and the world of missions and church planting. I believe it is important to share stories, raise questions and share lessons learnt along the way.

I’m not going to set myself a target. I’ll only miss it and who needs more hassle in life. So, we’ll see where this current burst of enthusiasm takes me.

Pressing on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all