Skip to main content

Visible highlights this week?

Sometimes when we get to the end of the week we can look back and wonder what has been accomplished. Especially when the previous week seemed to fly by in a blur! Busyness can be deathly to a good spiritual life - if rushing from one thing to another becomes the focus of our energies, and we never feel as though we are accomplishing anything. Paul Yonghi Cho wrote "God is omnipresent (everywhere at the same time) but He is never in a hurry." Which I do believe to be true, however, this does not mean that moving quickly from place to place necessarily equates to being a rush ... We can know real peace and be confident of His presence at all times - nurturing that attitude is the key.

So as I looked back on the last week I thought to myself, in the midst of the busyness and travelling what have been the highlights and where have I seen God at work ...

On Sunday we went to St Marks Church in Versailles ... And enjoyed a weekend with Friends in Paris. It was wonderful to see what is going on in the Church and the potential that is unfolding there ... Three highlights come to mind ... Spending time getting to know some of our WEClets better (children of WEC missionaries are an important part of our fellowship) ... speaking to a young lady who clearly has the Lord's call upon her life and encouraging her in the direction she feels led, and a follow up Facebook message from another young person who wanted to share how much she had been encouraged by what we had shared ...

Monday and Tuesday I went to a Global Connections CEOs forum in Northampton ... Good to simply share encourage and be encouraged by people from many diverse charities and ministries ... And having a good nights sleep - some peace in the midst of the week. One or two very interesting networking opportunities have come out of that which could be very important as we move ahead in our work here in the UK and beyond.

I really enjoyed Wednesday and hope it was helpful, but can't share what I did!

Thursday was a day of medical appointments ... Physio for Pauline, diabetic checks for me and dental trips for #1 son! ... Managed to snatch a chat with a volunteer at a local hospital who asked me what I did and why? ... In between I spoke to a couple who are sensing that the Lord might be leading to work with WEC ... So helping them to clarify there leading and trusting the Lord to establish their steps as they move forward. I was late for wash-up here at Bulstrode during lunch-time ... But I turned up to find that a couple had already done it for me - a hug and a kiss to show appreciation seemed appropriate and it was a heartfelt thank you indeed!

Friday, a snatched meeting with the others in the UKO to deal with some of the important/urgent matters needing a response ... Then some time to think through some of the issues relating to the development of Bulstrode as a place of Prayer for the Nations ... And the encouragement of seeing how the Lord has raised up someone who has a burden for this area of ministry ... Then a meeting with one of our department leaders ... Who are a real pleasure to work with and who do a fantastic job ... Then a time with a local Church Leader whom I meet with regularly. We hadn't been able to meet for a few weeks due to travel, so it was a time to touch base, share what has Ben happening and pray together. Good to have 'solid' people around who encourage and challenge us to keep on track! Then, at 10pm to still be walking around Bulstrode talking to some of the 100 or so people here for training as leaders for the upcoming WEC Camps in the Summer ... Refreshing friendships and getting excited about what God is planning to do in the summer amongst the 3-400 young people who will be attending camps!

Then, finally at about midnight having to drive to pick up #1 Son from a Prom that marked the end of his compulsory schooling - on the day of his last GCSE exam!! Very proud!

Saturday, a bit of a lie in!

So, I count my blessings indeed ... God is good, always!

Of course, these are only things that I have seen! I am confident that He is at work all around us all the time, and sometimes we see what He is doing ... I walk by faith and not by sight ... Obedience does not always bear visible fruit - but it always bears fruit.

- Press on!
Follow me on twitter @johnbagg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labels

Who are you? I have never been a great fan of labels when it comes to describing members of the body of Christ. eg. he is anglican, she is Baptist, they are Charismatic, etc. etc. I remember once causing a man to become increasingly hot under the collar when he asked me who I was? To which I replied I was a disciple (follower) of Jesus. He was meaning which Church did I attend (presumably so he could classify me and decide whether I was bona fide or not) and my answer did not bring him peace, but I refused to go any further.  Why? Because, as I said, I am not a great fan of labels, but also because for me there is a very important distinction between primarily identifying myself with Jesus and identifying myself with Church. Of course, I recognise that by becoming a follower of Jesus I become part of the body of Christ, but that can be very distinct from being a member of a Church. To me this is the crucial difference between vibrant faith and dusty religion.  I want t

Homes I have lived in #3

This year I am celebrating my silver wedding anniversary ... Just for something to do I have begun to sketch all the houses we have lived in during that time. So here is house number #3 On our return to the UK we were faced with the question that faces all people in transition, what next? For us, we were encouraged by our friends to investigate further training and opted to spend a year with Kerygma ministries. We joined with a group of some 20 other people from various different cultures and backgrounds to join the ministry led by Dr Bob Gordon, based at Drayton Hall near Norwich. We spent one year here, between September 1993 and July 1994.   Significant events that took place here included: Suffered reverse culture shock, as I grappled with the transition from life in a mudhut in Africa to life in the UK in a Manor House! (Struggled with the amount of money being spent on a sign that was being placed outside when

Happy Christmas!

It is the middle of the last afternoon before going away for a few days to celebrate Christmas with family in the south west ... I hope the snow will permit the travel! I just wanted to write to say 'Happy Christmas' to all of you who work, pray and support the work of WEC International here in the UK. (And, of course, any who have stumbled across this website - get in touch if you have any questions about what you are reading.) As I come to the end of the year I am reaching the end of my 'read the Bible in a year' programme - which has been tremendously inspiring and ultimately very satisfying. I already have my plan for what to do next year and am starting with a 30 day study of John 15 'The True Vine' - Andrew Murray... can't wait. As with most Bible reading programmes the book of Revelation comes last - much of which is difficult to understand to say the least ... however some aspects ring through loudly and clearly, and are an encouragement to us all